Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo charged Thursday that China may have known of the new coronavirus as early as November, renewing accusations that Beijing has not been transparent and again drawing ire from China.”You’ll recall that the first cases of this were known by the Chinese government maybe as early as November, but certainly by mid-December,” Pompeo said in an interview.”They were slow to identify this for anyone in the world, including the World Health Organization,” he told conservative radio host Larry O’Connor. Pompeo said the United States still wanted more information from China including the original sample of the SARS-CoV-2 virus detected in the metropolis of Wuhan.”This issue of transparency is important not only as a historical matter to understand what happened back in November and December and January, but it’s important even today,” Pompeo said.”This is still impacting lots of lives here in the United States and, frankly, around the world.”China hit back on Friday, saying Pompeo’s remarks were “totally groundless and entirely for the purpose of blaming others”. Pompeo’s comments ran “counter to the general consensus of the global community”, foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said at a daily press briefing, adding that China had “provided timely information to the world” and actively cooperated with others.China initially closely guarded information of the virus and silenced whistleblowers. The first official acknowledgment of what became a global pandemic came on December 31 when authorities in Wuhan reported mysterious cases of pneumonia.Michael Ryan, emergencies director at the World Health Organization, said the UN body first spoke of an event in Wuhan on January 4 via Twitter and provided “detailed information” the following day to all member countries.President Donald Trump’s administration has harshly criticized both China and the WHO, blaming them for not stopping the illness that has killed more than 180,000 people worldwide.Critics say that Trump is seeking to deflect from his own handling of the coronavirus, which he claimed to have “totally under control” in January but has since killed nearly 50,000 people in the United States — more than any other country.Pompeo has previously not ruled out that the virus originated in a virology laboratory in Wuhan and has demanded international access to it.China has dismissed the theory. Its scientists have said that the virus probably was transmitted to humans at a meat market in Wuhan that butchered exotic animals, though Chinese officials have more recently cast doubt about its origins. Topics :
Hundreds of elephants have died mysteriously in Botswana’s famed Okavango Delta, the head of the wildlife department said Thursday, ruling out poaching as the tusks were found intact.The landlocked southern African country has the world’s largest elephant population, estimated to be around 130,000.”We have had a report of 356 dead elephants in the area north of the Okavango Delta and we have confirmed 275 so far,” Cyril Taolo, the acting director of the department of Wildlife and National Parks, told AFP in a text message. The latest discoveries were flagged by a wildlife conservation charity, Elephants Without Borders (EWB), whose confidential report referring to the 356 dead elephants, was leaked to the media on Wednesday.EWB suspects the elephants have been dying in the area for about three months.According to the report dated June 19, 2020, “70 percent of elephant carcasses were considered recent, having died about a month ago, and 30 percent of the carcasses appeared fresh, ranging from one day to two weeks old”.”There was good evidence to show elephants of all ages and sex appear to be dying,” said the report penned by EWB director Mike Chase.Several live elephants appeared to have been weak, lethargic and emaciated, with some showing signs of disorientation, difficulty in walking or limping, EWB said.”One elephant was observed walking in circles, unable to change direction although being encouraged by other herd members,” said the report. He said the cause of the deaths was yet to be established with anthrax having been ruled out.”We do not suspect poaching since [the] animals were found with tusks,” he said.Samples have been collected and sent to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Canada for testing.Similar deaths were first reported in May when authorities found 12 carcasses in just a week in two villages in the northwest of the country. Topics :
46 Burlington Street, East Brisbane.The property, in one of Brisbane’s blue-chip suburbs, sold on September 5 for $990,000.The buyers have the choice to keep the property as it stands and land bank, transform the Queensland into a family home, or renovate the existing house and build a further two dwellings.“This was a rare opportunity to secure a sensational parcel of prime East Brisbane real estate enjoying great development potential,” Ms Roche said.The property is a short stroll to the iconic Gabba Cricket Ground, Churchie, bus transport, Mowbray Park City Cat Terminal, local parks and an array of restaurants, cafes and wine bars. 46 Burlington Street, East Brisbane.A four-bedroom, one-bathroom property at East Brisbane has sold for just shy of $1 million.Ray White – East Brisbane selling agent Madi Roche marketed the property at 46 Burlington St as being “ready to go with DA approval confirmed”.“Envisage three freehold dwellings on this 607sq m allotment (existing dwelling plus two townhouses),” she said in her realestate.com.au listing.More from newsCrowd expected as mega estate goes under the hammer7 Aug 2020Hard work, resourcefulness and $17k bring old Ipswich home back to life20 Apr 2020“The approved plans will be available to all genuine buyers.”
NZ Herald 8 February 2015The erotic movie Fifty Shades of Grey, due to be released on Valentines Day, should be boycotted because it “glamorises sexual violence”, Family First says.Moviegoers should instead donate the admission fee to their local Women’s Refuge, the lobby group’s national director Bob McCoskrie said.The movie, based on the novel by British author EL James, traces the relationship between college graduate Anastasia Steele and wealthy businessman Christian Grey.Bondage and discipline, dominance and submission feature heavily in the plot.Mr McCoskrie has called on families to use the release of the movie as an opportunity to have a discussion with their youngsters about real respect and intimacy in relationships.“The premise of the movie is that a woman who is humiliated, abused, controlled, entrapped, coerced, manipulated and tortured is somehow an ’empowered’ woman.“And a man who is possessive, controlling, violent, jealous and coercive is somehow showing ‘true love’. These are foul and dangerous lies,” he said.“This movie and the book it is based on simply glamorises sexual violence and should be rejected by everyone who is concerned about family and sexual violence.”He asked for families to boycott the movie and make a special donation to any charity that was working to eliminate sexual violence and support the victims and families.Nobody from Women’s Refuge was immediately available for comment.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11398438Call for Fifty Shades boycottRadio NZ News 8 February 2015The film, which features acts of sadomasochism, is being released on Thursday.http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/265541/call-for-fifty-shades-boycottLobby group calls for Fifty Shades boycott3News 8 February 2015A lobby group has called for New Zealanders to boycott the upcoming Fifty Shades of Grey film.http://www.3news.co.nz/nznews/lobby-group-calls-for-fifty-shades-boycott-2015020810#axzz3R6fmgGgXFamily First calls for boycott of Fifty Shades of Grey filmOneNews 7 February 2015Social conservative group Family First wants New Zealanders to boycott upcoming R18 movie Fifty Shades of Grey, saying it “glamourises sexual violence”.http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/family-first-calls-boycott-fifty-shades-grey-film-6229748Family First pushing ‘Fifty Shades’ boycottNewsTalk ZB 7 February 2015The head of a conservative group is calling on families to boycott screenings of Fifty Shades of Grey and donate to a group like Women’s Refuge instead.http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/entertainment/family-first-pushing-fifty-shades-boycott/Family First pushing ‘Fifty Shades’ boycottYahoo News 7 February 2015The head of a conservative group is calling on families to boycott screenings of Fifty Shades of Grey and donate to a group like Women’s Refuge instead.https://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainment/26222932/family-first-pushing-fifty-shades-boycott/Fifty ways to a happy Valentine’sNZ Herald 8 February 2015When the erotic novel Fifty Shades of Grey was released, Kiwi bondage and discipline store Khandikane sold out of whips and blindfolds.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11398252
Afternoon Sunlight came through to deny Amulet the runner-up spot. Farrell said: “That’s the first time she’s got her ground. I always had faith in her, prepped her for today and just had to decide between this race and the Lincoln (Irish Lincolnshire). “She’s a big, strong yoke, and the ground will control everything as to where she will run. “I’ve only six in training and that’s my first Group-race winner. I always said if I got black type I might retire!” The five-year-old mare had registered just a solitary victory from 12 previous starts, with that triumph coming in a Leopardstown maiden almost two years ago. She looked right up against it going into a tough Group Three assignment, but got the job done under a tactically astute ride from Shane Foley, mowing down British raider Amulet for a two-length success. Bill Farrell claimed the biggest success of his training career on the first day of the Flat season at the Curragh as unconsidered 100-1 shot Ramone clinched a shock victory in the Lodge Park Stud EBF Park Express Stakes. Press Association
“We were cleaning up the debris down there and we noticed a bit of a sparkle and we picked up a ring,” he says. “Once we washed it off we realized there was an engraving on the inside.” While serving take-out meals recently during the coronavirus pandemic, Coconuts manager Ryan Krivoy was also replacing the wooden deck on the restaurant’s patio. Krivoy says he plans to put the treasures in the tip jar to help his staff. The restaurant found more than just the ring under the deck, Krivoy adds. “We found a couple of $100 bills,” he adds. “I don’t know how those got down there.” The engraving read, “Mike & Lisa 08-21-15.” The staff began their mission to find the ring’s owner. “We took to Facebook and basically put the post up as a long shot,” says marketing manager Sasha Formica. “That was on Monday and on [Thursday] Lisa called the restaurant.” The coins were minted with a value of $2.50, but now range from $200 to more than $2,000, according to various estimates. A man who vacationed in Fort Lauderdale never thought he would see his wedding ring again after he lost it three years ago.Then, a local restaurant came to the rescue during an unlikely time. “We found a lot of change obviously, but as we’re cleaning off the change we actually found a gold coin,” he said. “After doing a little research, it was a quarter eagle [coin] from 1855.” “She called and said, ‘You’re not going to believe this, but I’m Lisa,’” Formica explains.Courtesy: Coconuts Restaurant/Facebook Lisa texted pictures of the ring and she and her husband eating at Coconuts in 2017 in order to prove that she was the real owner. The wedding band had slipped off her husband’s greasy fingers and rolled between the wooden floorboards, she said. The post had been shared about 5,000 times, and found its way to the married couple, who live in New York. The wedding ring was sent back to the couple Friday via certified mail.
A pair of undefeated boys swim teams were ready to battle for first place in the Salt City Athletic Conference as Liverpool made the short trip to Baldwinsville on Wednesday night.They did so after an astonishing eight-day stretch where the Warriors competed in an elite tournament and then beat five opponents head-to-head, capped by last Saturday’s sweep of host Jamesville-DeWitt/CBA and Watertown.During that meet, Liverpool handled the Red Rams 101-77 and the Cyclones 102.5-60.5, and the starting point was having Brandon Nguyen, Curtis Merrick, Griffin Merkling and Julien Brownlow win the 200-yard medley relay in a state meet-qualifying time of 1:40.67. Liverpool and B’ville saw each other compete on Jan. 4 in the Yeti Invitational at Webster Schroeder, near Rochester. Here, the Warriors finished third in the 13-team field as the Bees settled for sixth place.The big highlight for the Warriors was seeing its 400 freestyle relay team of Merkling, Merrick, Brownlow and Nguyen win in 3:17.70 and, by doing so, qualify for March’s state championship meet.Earlier in the meet, Merkling had improved his 200 individual medley time to 1:57.58, just behind the 1:57.16 from McQuaid’s Max Murray.Brownlow went 22.66 seconds to finish third in the 50 freestyle, with Nguyen third in the 100 freestyle in 50.08 seconds. In the 500 freestyle, Merkling got fifth place in 4:56.86. Andrejko was eighth in the 100 backstroke in 59.23 seconds.As a follow-up, Liverpool ventured to West Genesee last Tuesday night and improved to 4-0, handling the Wildcats 101-82.Merkling would swim the 500 freestyle in 4:59.64 and Merrick won the 100 butterfly in 56.46 seconds, while Brownlow took the 50 freestyle in exactly 23 seconds. Merrick, in 2:17.47, edged Andrejko (2:17.54) in the 200 IM.Elsewhere, Will Allen was victorious in the 200 freestyle in 1:59.01, with Jack Hyde going 1:02.90 to beat the field in the 100 backstroke. Nguyen helped Merkling, Merrick and Brownlow go 1:42.35 in the 200 medley relay as Ryan Wilhelm joined Nguyen, Merrick and Brownlow to wint he 200 freestyle relay in 1:33.52.The day before it beat J-D/CBA and Watertown, Liverpool swept another three-team meet at Oswego, handling the host Buccaneers 101-63 and also topping Mexico 94-83.Merkling was first in the 200 freetstyle in 1:48.44 and took the 100 butterfly in 54.63 seconds as Merrick was first in the 100 backstroke in 55.28 seconds.Nguyen beat the field in the 50 freestyle in 22.91 seconds as Andrejko, in 51.79 seconds, claimed the 100 freestyle and Jack Hyde took the 200 IM in 2:19.30. Uriy Grabovyy earned 227.65 points in diving, just behind Mexico’s Kian Long, who had 231.45 points.While all this was going on, Cicero-North Syracuse found its own success last Tuesday night when it earned a 98-72 victory over Syracuse City.Logan Petralia, John Harbaugh, Dom Bagozzi and Seaver Schultz would tear to a time of 1:36.23 in the 200 freestyle relay, with that same quartet winning the 400 freestyle relay in 3:43.36.Petralia was first in the 200 IM in 2:20.77 as Harbaugh won the 100 butterfly in 1:02.24. Bagozzi got to first in the 50 freestyle in 24.69 seconds as Sawyer Powell added a 100 backstroke title in 1:05.31.Schultz would finish second twice to Syracuase’s Lelal Hamad, his 1:57.05 in the 200 freestyle behind Amad’s 1:51.54 and his 51.03 seconds in the 100 freestyle trailing Amad’s 48.999.Against Pulaski/Sandy Creek on Friday, C-NS won 51-28, with Harbaugh (500 freestyle), Bagozzi (100 backstroke), Josh Kubala (200 freestyle), Anthony Bouziden (50 freestyle), Joe Gucciardi (100 butterfly) and Crispin Coombs (100 freestyle) each winning individual races.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story Merkling, Nguyen, Brownlow and Merrick teamed up again in the 200 freestyle relay and finished in 1:29.06 to edge Watertown’s 1:29.30, both of them state qualifying times.Individually, Merkling swam the 200 individual medley in 2:01.49 and the 100 breaststroke in 1:01.66, with Merrick going 54.78 seconds in the 100 butterfly and 22.96 seconds in the 50 freestyle.But it was Brownlow winning the 50 freestyle in 22.36 seconds and the 100 freestyle in 49.94 seconds as Jack Andrejko went 1:00.43 in the 100 backstroke and Will Allen swam the 500 freestyle in 5:22.30. Tags: C-NSliverpoolswimming
Three Trojans — Gussie Johns and Kerrigan Miller of women’s lacrosse and Gabby Smith of women’s tennis — were honored as Players of the Week by their respective conferences after their play last week. Johns, a junior goaltender, was named MPSF Defensive Player of the Week, while Miller, a freshman midfielder, was named MPSF Rookie of the Week. Smith, a junior, also earned Pac-12 Player of the Week honors for the second time this season.Johns and Miller were recognized after their stellar play over the weekend, leading the No. 3 USC women’s lacrosse team (2-0) to a big 11-10 overtime win against rival No. 9 Northwestern.Johns, a junior goalie for the Trojans and current member of the U.S. Women’s National Team, made a handful of key stops against the Wildcats on Saturday, including a crucial one-on-one save early in the overtime period to keep USC’s winning hopes alive. The Washington, D.C. native led the nation in goals-against average last season (6.04) and has maintained that level of play in 2017. In the game against Northwestern, Johns recorded career-highs of 17 saves and eight ground balls to keep the Wildcats’ high-powered offense at bay. Those 17 saves (on 35 shots) accounted for the second most saves in a single game in USC history, while the eight ground balls tied the program record and was the third-highest total in MPSF conference history. The Defensive Player of the Week award is the third of Johns’ career and her fourth award overall.Miller, the top-ranked recruit in the country coming out of Bayport-Blue Point High School in Bayport, N.Y., has lived up to the billing in this early part of the 2017 season. In addition to scoring the first hat trick of her career on Saturday, the freshman midfielder caused three turnovers and recorded two ground balls and one draw control in addition to scoring the game-winning goal with just four seconds left in overtime. For her efforts, Miller was also named InsideLacrosse National Rookie of the Week. This marks the freshman’s first career MPSF weekly award, and she is the school’s first Rookie of the Week since Johns was selected in March of 2015.Johns, Miller and the rest of the Trojans will now head out east when they battle against No. 4 Florida in Gainesville, Fla. on Friday at 3:30 p.m.In addition, Gabby Smith, a junior on the women’s tennis team, earned her second Pac-12 Player of the Week honor this season after extending her winning streak to 10 straight matches over the weekend. The Henderson, Nev., native is currently ranked No. 25 in the nation in singles play after gutting out a 6-2, 4-6, 6-4 win against Terri Fleming of UCLA on Saturday.Smith has been USC’s most consistent contributor this spring, defeating five nationally ranked competitors over the course of the season. She is also currently ranked No. 47 nationally in doubles play with senior partner Zöe Katz. The nod is the third of Smith’s career all-time and her second weekly honor in 2017 after winning the same award on Jan. 23. Now, she and the rest of the Trojans will gear up for a big matchup against California in Berkeley, Calif. at noon on Saturday.