NCUA finalized its latest field-of-membership rule Thursday at its board meeting, re-instating portions of the rule vacated in March 2018 by a U.S. District Court Decision. Those portions of the rule were upheld by a August 2019 D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals decision, and the U.S. Supreme Court decided not to hear an appeal to the case in June.“NCUA finalizing this rule completes an important modernization of FOM requirements that will allow credit unions to serve more Americans. This is particularly important when people around the country are feeling the impact of the pandemic,” said CUNA President/CEO Jim Nussle. “Consumers around the country will benefit from NCUA’s determination to modernize its field of membership rules, and CUNA and Leagues were proud to stand by the agency as bankers tried hard to deprive consumers of safe an affordable options for financial services.”The final rule:Re-adopts a provision to allow an applicant to designate a Combined Statistical Area (CSA), or an individual, contiguous portion thereof, as a well-defined local community (WDLC), provided that the chosen area has a population of 2.5 million or less; and NCUA headquarters continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Chinese factory activity grew at a slower pace in April as demand remained sluggish while the world grapples with the coronavirus pandemic, according to official data released Thursday.China is ramping up economic production as daily life returns to normal but with much of the world still facing restrictions on movement and business operations, its factories are facing weak orders.The manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) came in at 50.8, the National Bureau of Statistics said Thursday, just above the 50 mark that indicates expansion. This was well above the dismal 35.7 reported the month before, at the height of China’s virus outbreak.But NBS data on Thursday found that nearly 60 percent of companies surveyed reported “insufficient orders”, and some firms said market demand was weak, with difficulties in product sales and more time needed before orders return. Zhao said some manufacturing companies reported a sharp decrease in newly signed export orders, and even orders that have already started production have been cancelled.”China’s foreign trade faces greater challenges,” he said. Non-manufacturing PMI came in at 53.2 — up on last month and above analyst predictions.Zhao said there had been a “significant rebound” in the catering industry but added that “the resumption of work and production in some industries is still lagging behind”.”Industries such as accommodation, culture, sports, entertainment and resident services have had a larger impact from the epidemic,” he said.Many sporting venues, cultural centers and cinemas have remained closed throughout April.The last time China’s PMI hovered above the 52.0-mark was in September 2017, before the trade war kicked off. Topics : The figure is slightly below expectations of analysts surveyed by Bloomberg, who forecast 51.0.But Zhao Qinghe, senior statistician at the National Bureau of Statistics, warned that demand was recovering at a slower pace than production, in industries including textiles and chemical raw materials.”The spread of the pandemic is accelerating overseas, and global economic activity has contracted sharply,” he said.The latest figures follow surprise growth of 52.0 in March as businesses went back to work following a lengthy shutdown in China, which brought economic activity to a near standstill.
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed that all players taking part in the Africa Cup of Nations will be tested for the Ebola virus.The governing body has implemented this measures in a bid to limit the potential spread of the deadly virus, which has claimed the lives of over 8,000 people.Anyone showing signs of infection will be quarantined for 21 days, along with those who refuse to be tested.Morocco were originally due to host the tournament but were stripped of their hosting rights after requesting that the tournament be postponed due to fears over the spread of the virus.A CAF statement read: “Everyone arriving at the Nations Cup must respect the medical rules and regulations.”Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea are the worst affected countries, although of the three, only Guinea will be involved in the 2015 edition of the tournament.
15 Nov 2012 England quartet seek Happy New Year Down Under England’s Eisenhower Trophy team that finished eighth in Turkey last month will form the basis of a four-man squad for the annual championship tour of Australia early next year. Craig Hinton (The Oxfordshire, BB&O), Garrick Porteous (Bamburgh Castle, Northumberland) and Neil Raymond (Corhampton, Hampshire, IoW &CI) were in Turkey for the World Amateur Team Championship and will be joined Down Under by Nathan Kimsey (Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire). The quartets first action will be the Masters of the Amateurs at Royal Melbourne on 8th – 11th January followed by the Australian Amateur Championship at Commonwealth and Woodlands Golf Clubs on 15th& 20th January. They will move on to the Lake Macquarie International at Belmont on 24th – 27th January, before the New South Wales Medal at The Coast and Bonnie Doon Golf Clubs on 30th January & 1st February. If they qualify from that, they will contest the New South Wales Amateur Championship at Royal Sydney on 3rd – 5th February and finish with the Avondale Medal on 8th & 9th February. This will be Raymond’s third successive visit to Australia and he will defend the New South Wales Medal he won in a playoff at Mona Vale in early 2012. The 26 year old’s only other win of the year came when he successfully defended the Brabazon Trophy at Walton Heath following his initial victory at Burnham & Berrow in 2011. However, that and reaching the quarter finals of the English Amateur saw him top the Titleist/FootJoy England Golf Men’s Order of Merit for 2012. Raymond was also an England international regular during the year, the most successful player in the Eisenhower Trophy and represented GB&I against Europe in the St Andrews Trophy. Hinton, (image © Tom Ward) 24, who finished less than three points behind Raymond in the order of merit, won the Welsh Open Stroke Play Championship and was joint fourth in the St Andrews Links Trophy. He was capped against France and was in the victorious England squad in the European Men’s Challenge Trophy in Iceland. Like Raymond, he also played for GB&I in the St Andrews Trophy. Porteous, who will celebrate his 23rd birthday during the Australian Amateur, also represented GB&I in the St Andrews Trophy and was a member of the England team in this year’s Home Internationals in Scotland. The Northumberland player finished tied third in the individual rankings in the European Challenge Trophy, joint seventh in the Brabazon Trophy and reached the last 16 of the Amateur Championship. Apart from Raymond, England players have enjoyed some success in recent trips to Australia. In January 2010, Tommy Fleetwood had three top ten finishes including runner-up in the New South Wales Amateur, while in 2011, Jack Senior won the New South Wales Amateur, beating Andy Sullivan in an all-English final and tied second behind Sullivan in the New South Wales Medal. Sullivan also tied second in the Masters of the Amateurs while Laurie Canter finished joint fourth in the New South Wales Medal alongside Stiggy Hodgson. The Masters of the Amateurs tournament has an international field. The opening round is played with club professionals and guests with a shotgun start. The other three rounds comprise only the amateurs. The long established 72-hole Lake Macquarie International at Belmont Golf Club has seen several English winners such as Roger Chapman, Russell Claydon, Ricky Willison, Nick Dougherty and Adam Gee. The field in the New South Wales Medal will play one round each over The Coast and Bonnie Doon courses after which there will be a cut with the leading 60 players plus ties playing the final 36 holes. The leading 32 players from that will enter the match play knockout competition for the NSW Amateur at Royal Sydney.
By John BurtonFREEHOLD – A black robe may be in the near future for the Monmouth County prosecutor.Listed among the slate of eight nominees Gov. Chris Christie had announced for appointments to the state Superior Court was Peter E. Warshaw Jr., a career prosecutor, who has been the county’s top prosecutor since January 2011.Warshaw, 50, a Middletown resident, declined to comment when contacted.He has been with the prosecutor’s office since 1986. Over the course of his career, he has been head of the office’s Environmental Crime Unit, and from 1995-2006 he was director of the Major Crimes Unit.In 2006, Luis A. Valentin, then the county prosecutor, appointed Warshaw as the first assistant prosecutor, a post he held until Christie decided to not reappoint Valentin, a Democrat, as prosecutor for another five-year term. Christie then nominated Warshaw as prosecutor in November 2010, with the state Senate voting on Jan. 25, 2011, to confirm his appointment by consent.He was sworn in on Jan. 31, 2011, taking over the position as the county’s highest ranking, non-elected law enforcement official, for an office that oversees approximately 15,000 cases annually, and has a staff of 50 lawyers, 80 detectives and support staff numbering more than 150.Warshaw’s former colleague, Robert Honecker Jr., who had been the first assistant prior to Warshaw, offered his unequivocal endorsement. “Pete Warshaw will make an excellent judge,” Honecker said this week. “He is well-schooled in the law and has the perfect temperament to ensure justice in the courtroom.”It remains uncertain how long it will take the Senate Judiciary Committee to vote on the nomination and then send it to the full Senate for final approval.
TRAINER ROSEMARY TRELA RECOVERING FROM BRAIN ANEURISM Just 15 days after suffering a near-fatal brain aneurism Dec. 9 at her San Luis Rey Downs base, trainer Rosemary Trela was a Christmas Eve visitor at Clockers’ Corner as she and her husband Brian watched her star pupil, two-year-old filly Dragon Flower, gallop on Santa Anita’s main track.“My doctors told me I should take a year off, but now I think I’ll take a month or two,” said Trela, who turned 57 on Dec. 7. “I remember exactly when it happened, at 7:59 that morning. I was extremely lucky to have a neurosurgeon, Dr. Andrew Nguyen, on duty.”Trela’s husband related that his wife, who has just in the past couple of days regained the ability to speak in complete sentences, underwent a minimally invasive procedure addressing the precise location of the hemorrhage while also draining a substantial amount of excess blood, thereby relieving pressure to her brain.“She’s really doing well,” said Brian. “It’s going to be hard to keep her down now, the way she’s coming along.”Trela, whose primary client is Joseph Schneider, had six wins and four seconds from 18 San Luis Rey-based starters prior to being sidelined by the aneurism. Derek Meredith, who has taken over training duties for Trela during her period of convalescence, sent a recent Trela/Schneider claim, Finallygotabentley, out to an impressive $8,000 claiming win this past Sunday at Los Alamitos. IMPROVEMENT DUE FOR CRITTENDEN IN MATHIS MILE Crittenden’s disappointing showing in the Grade I Hollywood Derby remains a mystery to Eoin Harty. “He got beat,” the trainer said drolly and succinctly of the son of Distorted Humor owned by Godolphin Racing, LLC. “It looks like he just got outrun.”Crittenden finished a distant 12th of 14 in the Hollywood Derby at Del Mar on Nov. 28, but save for his second career start, has been there or thereabouts in his other 10 races, winning the restricted Let It Ride stakes at Del Mar on Oct. 31.The field for the Mathis Brothers Mile: Ground Rules, Rafael Bejarano, 12-1; Perfectly Majestic, Kent Desormeaux, 12-1; Crittenden, Martin Garcia, 12-1; Professor Berns, Brice Blanc, 15-1; Soul Driver, Tyler Baze, 8-1; Mister Brightside, Mike Smith, 4-1; Acceptance, Alonso Quinonez, 12-1; Ike Walker, Victor Espinoza, 20-1; Vigilante, Joe Talamo, 6-1; Om, Gary Stevens, 5-2; Ocho Ocho Ocho, Santiago Gonzalez, 10-1; and Fueled by Bourbon, Joel Rosario, 10-1. EL KABEIR ‘SITTING ON BIG RACE’ FOR MALIBUEl Kabeir is among five of the seven horses entered in the Grade I Malibu Stakes on Opening Day Saturday that are not based at Santa Anita.Only longshot Bad Read Sanchez and Lord Nelson are stabled at Santa Anita.El Kabeir, headquartered in New York where the gray son of the late Scat Daddy is trained by John Terranova II for Ahmed Zayat of American Pharoah fame, understandably has called trainer Bob Baffert’s barn his home since he arrived at Santa Anita two weeks ago.Baffert, for those on another planet the past year, was the Svengali who masterminded the Zayat-owned American Pharoah to a successful Triple Crown campaign in 2015.“El Kabeir looked really good when he came in,” said Baffert, who trains Lord Nelson for the Peachtree Stable. Nothing has changed during his stay.“All reports are that he’s doing great,” Terranova said by phone Thursday morning from New York, where he will leave tomorrow from The Big Apple with his wife, Tonja, to saddle El Kabeir in the Malibu.“He’s had two works over the track, drew a good post and has a top rider in Mike Smith. The horse is sitting on a big race.”El Kabeir has run in nothing but stakes since breaking his maiden by nearly 11 lengths at Saratoga on Aug. 30, 2014. Eight of the stakes have been graded. Only the City Of Laurel in Maryland on Nov. 14 was not. He won that seven furlong race by a nose.He has won five of 11 starts and earned $834,892. His only two misfires came at Belmont Park, in the Grade I Champagne over a sloppy track when he was beaten nearly 18 lengths last Oct. 4, and against older horses in the Grade III Bold Ruler Oct. 31 when he was nearly 10 lengths back.Other than those two, El Kabeir has never finished out of the money.The field for the Malibu, race eight of nine: Pain and Misery, Tyler Baze, 20-1; Marking, Jose Lezcano, 5-2; Watershed, Joel Rosario, 4-1; Runhappy, Gary Stevens, 6-5; El Kabeir, Mike Smith, 8-1; Bad Read Sanchez, Mario Gutierrez, 30-1; and Lord Nelson, Rafael Bejarano, 5-1.First post time opening day is 12 noon. Admission gates open at 10 a.m. CAN BALTAS SMELL THE ROSES WITH LILY POD?Having never run in a stakes race, let alone a Grade I, Lily Pod looms a rank outsider in Saturday’s Grade I La Brea Stakes for three-year-old fillies at seven furlongs, but Richard Baltas is inclined to give the daughter of Bernstein a longshot’s chance.“I think she liked Los Alamitos, but I might have worked her too fast too close to the race and she got away from the rider,” Baltas said, referring to her fourth-place finish as the 9-10 favorite at the Orange County oval on Dec. 13. “That might have made a difference.“She came back good, although she’s in tough in the La Brea, no doubt, but she ran big here last year when she broke her maiden (winning by 3 ½ lengths Oct. 16 while in hand late).”The field: Birdatthewire, Mike Smith, 6-1; Hot City Girl, Jose Ortiz, 3-1; Cavorting, Irad Ortiz Jr., 5-2; Maybellene, Rafael Bejarano, 15-1; Lily Pod, Mario Gutierrez, 20-1; Ben’s Duchess, Joe Talamo, 3-1; Rattataptap, Tyler Baze, 12-1; Pleasant Tales, James Graham, 20-1; Moyo Honey, Drayden Van Dyke, 20-1; and Finest City, Gary Stevens, 8-1. OUT-OF-TOWNERS DOMINATE GRADE I MALIBUTRAINER HOPES LILY POD BLOOMS IN LA BREA CRITTENDEN TRIES TO REBOUND IN MATHIS MILETRAINER TRELA ON MEND AT CLOCKERS’ CORNERWARREN‘S VENEDA RETURNS IN SUNDAY’S FRANKELLIVE RACING AT SANTA ANITA WEDNESDAY, DEC. 30WALL CALENDAR AND MORE FREE ON OPENING DAY WARREN‘S VENEDA SET FOR FRANKEL, RAIN OR SHINECraig Lewis has entered Warren’s Veneda in Sunday’s Grade III Robert J. Frankel Stakes for fillies and mares, three and up, listed for 1 1/8 miles on turf, but with recent erratic rain patterns, should it come off the grass and be run on dirt, “All the better,” the trainer said.“She’s better on dirt and there’s nowhere to run her right now, so we opted for the Frankel, but I’d love for it to come off the turf. Her one off-track race here last winter was awesome,” referring to a 5 ½ length romp on a wet/fast strip in the Paseana Stakes on Jan. 11. “She won with authority.”As for memories of Bobby Frankel, the Hall of Fame trainer for whom the race is named, Lewis was precise and succinct: “One of the greatest trainers of all time,” he said. “We were very friendly. I got along real well with him. I had many good conversations with him over the years.”Frankel died at the age of 68 on Nov. 16, 2009.The field for the Frankel: Nancy From Nairobi, Drayden Van Dyke, 12-1; Three Hearts, Joe Talamo, 8-1; Alexis Tangier, Gary Stevens, 5-1; Rusty Slipper, James Graham, 9-2; Star Act, Kieren Fallon, 30-1; Peace and War, Joel Rosario, 12-1; Stormy Lucy, Kent Desormeaux, 6-1; Fresh Feline, Victor Espinoza, 20-1; Warren’s Veneda, Tyler Baze, 8-1; Sweet as a Rose, Brice Blanc, 30-1; Gender Agenda, Rafael Bejarano, 10-1; Glory, Mike Smith, 4-1; Honey Ride, Abel Lezcano, 20-1; and Gas Total, Flavien Prat, 12-1. LIVE RACING AT SANTA ANITA WEDNESDAY, DEC. 30Santa Anita will offer a five-day racing week beginning Wednesday, Dec. 30, through Sunday, Jan. 3. First post time throughout the week will be 12:30 p.m.Excluding weekday holidays, live racing usually is conducted Thursday through Sunday, but with the holiday season in full swing, an exception was made. Santa Anita will be dark on Monday, Dec. 28, and Tuesday, Dec. 29.FINISH LINES: Santa Anita will give away its popular full color Wall Calendar free on opening day to all fans at the track with paid admission while supplies last . . . The first 20,000 paid attendees will receive a $100 Mathis Brothers Furniture gift certificate, and the first 5,000 kids 17 and under accompanied by a paid adult will get a plush, mini-Thoroughbred . . . There will be a $1 million guaranteed pool on the Late Pick 4 opening day, and a $150,000 guaranteed pool on the Pick 6 . . . Sunday at Santa Anita, unbeaten Songbird is expected to have her first breeze since winning the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Oct. 30. “She’s ready,” said Jerry Hollendorfer assistant Dan Ward.