Muir, Arcadia play to 2-2 tie

first_imgWith the draw, Muir goes to 6-4-1 and 1-0-1 in Pacific League play, and Apaches is 9-5-3 and 1-0-1. “It was a good game; Arcadia is a very improved team,” Altounian said. “I’m sure they’re disappointed they didn’t get the win and we’re disappointed we didn’t win. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita“They had a few more chances than we did, but they couldn’t convert. But being a man down for more than a half, the tie was more to our benefit than Arcadia’s, so we’ll take it, especially on the road.” Muir’s Freddy Cabezas tied the score when he poked a heading cross just past midfield and raced past the Apaches backline, giving himself a great look on a breakaway, which he finished in the 32nd minute, to tie the score, 2-2. But Cabezas was ejected moments later when he ran past the Apaches sideline to taunt their players and coaches, and as a result forced the Mustangs to play defense in the second half down a man. “You can’t taunt,” Altounian said. “You score the goal and you come back and celebrate with your teammates. You can’t run by someone’s bench and taunt them. That’s uncalled for.” Early on, it looked as if the Apaches were going to run away with it. ARCADIA – Considering that the Muir High School boys soccer team had to rally from two goals down and play a man short for more than 50 minutes at Arcadia High on Thursday, Mustangs coach Warren Altounian was more than satisfied to escape with a 2-2 draw. The Apaches had several chances to win the game in the final 10 minutes and injury time, but Apaches forward Aaron Galvan couldn’t poke in a couple head tries and defender Donnie Capps missed a chance to convert a corner kick in the closing moments. center_img At the top of the penalty box, Apaches midfielder Kyle Conrad slid a pass left to Rogelio Gonzalez, and he found a seam, rifling a right-footed shot past Mustangs goalkeeper George Cervantez in the fourth minute for a 1-0 lead. A few minutes later, the Apaches earned a questionable penalty kick on a hand-ball call, and Galvan converted it, steering it in the right side for a 2-0 lead in the 10th minute. The Apaches had a goal called back for offsides that would have given them a 3-0 lead, and Galvan just missed another opportunity in the 22nd minute. The missed opportunities allowed the Mustangs to creep back in it, and they finally caught a break when the Apaches were called for a hand-ball in the 27th minute, which Jose De La Torre converted to cut the Apaches’ lead to 2-1. Apaches coach Jason Franz was disappointed with the outcome because the trio of Galvan, Conrad and Gonzalez created all kind of chances, but they couldn’t find the net. “Give Muir credit, they played hard in the second half,” Franz said. “We had a lot of opportunities to finish the game, but we couldn’t finish the game. “But this is what this league is going to be like week in and and week out. It will be a dogfight until the end.” The Mustangs also had to play without starter Armando Robles, who was sitting out a one-game suspension for an ejection earlier in the week. [email protected] (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4485 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *