Extra tax time for residents impacted by wildfires

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Residents impacted by the wildfires in Los Angeles and Orange counties will get more time to pay some taxes or file tax documents, state officials said. Residents who live in any county declared a federal disaster area will be given extensions on tax returns, payments or other tax transactions due on or after Oct. 21. Those taxpayers will automatically receive postponements until Jan. 31. The postponement includes the estimated tax payment for the fourth quarter, which is normally due Jan. 15. People impacted by the fires can claim a disaster loss in the current tax year, or can file an amended 2006 tax return to claim the loss in the prior year – which can result in a quick refund payment. Fire victims can also receive free copies of state tax returns to replace lost or damaged ones by completing Form FTB 3516 and printing “Southern California Wildfires 2007” in red at the top of the request. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Anyone with questions can check the FTB’s Web site at www.ftb.ca.gov or call (800) 752-5711. Meanwhile, the state Board of Equalization has set up a Web site designed to provide answers to frequently asked questions wildfire victims might have about fees and taxes. The site is at www.boe.ca.gov/info/disaster-relief-faq.htm.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *