Man Pleads Guilty to Fatally Choking Suffolk Corrections Officer

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Anthony Oddone pleaded guilty Wednesday to manslaughter in the death of a Suffolk County Correction’s Officer moonlighting as a bouncer in the Hamptons.Anthony Oddone, whose conviction in a fatal Hamptons bar brawl was overturned last year, pleaded guilty Wednesday to manslaughter at the urging of the victim’s family who expressed reservations about reliving the case a second time at trial, prosecutors said.As part of the agreement, Oddone, 31,will return to court on March 19 when he’ll be sentenced to five years and four months in prison, the same amount of time he’s served in an upstate prison, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office said.“While the office was confident of earning another conviction, the victim’s family wanted to be spared the trauma of a second jury trial, and their wishes were the primary factor in the decision to accept Oddone’s guilty plea,” District Attorney Thomas Spota said through a spokesman.The guilty plea stems from the fatal Aug. 7, 2008 bar fight in which off-duty Suffolk County Corrections Officer Andrew Reiser, who was moonlighting as a bouncer at Southampton Publick House, was chocked to death. Resier was declared brain dead two days after the fight.The two became involved in scuffle after Oddone refused Reiser’s orders to get down from a table he was dancing on top of, prosecutors said.Oddone was convicted of manslaughter in 2010. But a New York State Appellate Court last December overturned the verdict and ordered a new trial because of the prosecutors refusal to allow his defense attorney to refresh the memory of a witness whose testimony about the length of the chokehold conflicted with earlier statements she had made.Oddone’s attorney could not be reached for comment.last_img read more

Go-ahead for Windsor Park overhaul

first_img The Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure (DCAL) have approved the £31million funding for the modernisation of Northern Ireland’s national football stadium in Belfast. Sports minister Caral Ni Chuilin said: “This signals a new chapter in the history of Windsor Park. The Irish Football Association has confirmed it has been granted the funding needed for the redevelopment of Windsor Park. “Funding of £31m will allow the Irish Football Association to modernise Windsor and raise the capacity to 18,000. This is a tremendous boost for the local football family which will see two new stands and two refurbished stands.” The minister said construction work would start in 2014. The redevelopment will cost up to £35million in total, with the remaining £4million coming from the IFA. It will include the completion of the East Stand, demolition of the South Stand and the construction of a new stand and renovation to the North and West Stands. The funding grant will come as a relief to the IFA after the controversial re-appointment of David Martin to its board in September had put it in doubt. Martin was elected as the first deputy president just three years after he left the post of treasurer. Martin and the then IFA president Raymond Kennedy departed in 2010 when former chief executive Howard Wells successfully pursued a £500,000 unfair dismissal case against the governing body. The departures of Martin and Kennedy came after then sports minister Nelson McCausland deemed the IFA unfit for purpose and DCAL was thought to be uneasy about the former’s return to prominence. A group of fans staged a protest against Martin’s proposed reappointment ahead of August’s World Cup qualifier against Russia and Northern Ireland defender Gareth McAuley even branded his election a “very worrying development”. IFA president Jim Shaw played down the issue, but he kept in close contact with DCAL over the Windsor Park project and his work has now been rewarded. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Spurs miss out on Piatek as Milan agree £27m transfer fee with Hertha Berlin

first_imgZlatan Ibrahimovic’s return at the turn of the year signalled the end for Piatek, who will now be playing for his fourth club in just two years.However Mourinho has managed to bolster his attacking unit this week.Spurs splashed out £27m to bring 22-year-old winger Steven Bergwijn to the capital from PSV.Spurs have just £10MILLION to spend on Harry Kane stand-in with Mourinho set to miss out on Piatek and Willian Jose JOSE MOURINHO has missed out on signing Krzysztof Piatek with the striker set to join Hertha Berlin from AC Milan in a £23.5million move.The Poland international was wanted by the North London side to help cope with the loss of the injured Harry Kane.1 Spurs have lost out in the chase for Milan star Krzysztof PiatekCredit: AP:Associated PressSpurs have been keen on the 24-year-old since the transfer window opened – but Mourinho was only interested in a loan move.And that looks to have scuppered his hopes of securing the forward after Bundesliga outfit Hertha lodged an offer.Despite only signing him a year ago, Milan wanted to offload Piatek on a permanent basis and had resisted all Spurs’ advances.Ex-Genoa star Piatek jetted off to Germany on Wednesday to complete the formalities of the £23.5m deal, which includes a number of add-ons that could see that figure rise.Milan will be pleased to have recouped a large majority of the £30.4m they shelled out on the ace, who scored 15 goals in 37 Italian top-flight matches for the San Siro giants.Piatek has struggled for form over recent months after a bright start and has been shoved down the pecking order.last_img read more